Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Plot Struggles

Camp NaNoWriMo progress: 20,077 words

Today's snippet:

“You are that good. As strong as they say.” She pulled at Nadya’s grip, but did not move. “I have no quarrel with you, Phoenix. We don’t have to do this.”

“Funny, that’s what most say when they have lost.”

After nearly a week of sluggish writing, I finally got a decent word count today. It looks like we're moving forward. Part of the issue has been laziness (of course), focusing on packing and getting ready to move, and a lack of direction in the story. It's not that I didn't know where it was going; I just wasn't "feeling" the story. It felt slow and boring. I think this is because a major confrontation did not happen until today, around page 60. In revision, I'm definitely going to move it up. Now, there's a new player in the story, one who can challenge my MC and create a lot of inner conflict.

Another problem I'm having with the story is that the main plot doesn't seem to have started yet. The major character conflict is all there, but my main villain hasn't shown up yet, and I'm at the one-third mark for word count. It's another thing I'll need to shift around during revision.

I think what's been happening is that I know one of my tendencies is to move too fast in rough drafts, not taking enough time for character development and establishing the conflict, things I always add in revision. In this draft, I'm over-compensating by moving too slowly. Hopefully, now it'll speed up.

This just goes to show that no two books are written the same way. Some draft easily, revise hard. Some do the opposite, and some do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment